Gould's favorite restaurants in NYC
This list is mainly for my convenience, and is intended to help me remember where I have enjoyed eating or where I would like to go in the near future.
- A, 947 Columbus Ave. at 106th St., 212-531-1643. See also Ivo & Lulu, 558 Broome St. between Sixth Ave. and Varick St., 212-226-4399.
- Andre's Bakery , 100-28 Queens Blvd., Forest Hills, 718-830-0266.
- Candle 79, 154 East 79th Street at Lexington Ave., 212-537-7179.
- Cocina Economica Mexico,
452 Amsterdam Ave., 212-501-7755.
- Cuisine of Pakistan (Kashmir 9), 478 9th Ave (between 36 and 37 Streets), 212-736-7745. Cash only.
- Dominick's Restaurant, 2335 Arthur Ave. (near 184th St.), Bronx, 718-733-2807.
- Gabriela's, 315 Amsterdam Ave. (75th St.), 212-875-8532, 685 Amsterdam Ave (93 St.), 212-971-0574, Mexician.
- Gigino, 20 Battery Place, 212-528-2228.
- Gino's, 7414 Fifth Ave., Brooklyn, 718-748-1698.
- Indus Valley (Indian), 2636 Broadway at 100th St, 212-222-9222.
- Jackson Diner, 37-47 74th St., Flushing, 718-672-1232.
- Kabab Cafe, 25-12 Steinway St., Astoria, 728-9858.
- Kati Roll Company, 99 MacDougal St. (near Bleecker), 212-420-6517, and 49 W. 39th St. (between 5 and 6th), 212-730-4280.
- Laut (Malaysian), 15 E. 17th St., 212-206-8989.
- Mitchel London Foods, 458 9th Ave., 212-563-7750.
- Mile End Diner, 97A Hoyt St., between Atlantic Ave. and Pacific St., Boerum Hill, 718-852-7510.
- Mr. Broadway Kosher Deli, 1372 Broadway (near 38th Street), 212-921-2152.
- New Hop Kwan, 202 Centre St. (near Howard), 212-925-7554. Dim Sum.
- Pisticci, 125 La Salle St. (between 122nd and 123rd Streets), 212-932-3500. Good food and excellent jazz on Sunday evening.
- Piccolo Angolo, 621 Hudson St., 212-229-9177.
- Ponche Taqueria and Cantina, 420 West 49th St., 212-581-1235.
- Sapporo (Japanese), 152 W. 49th St., between 6 and 7th Ave., 212-869-8972.
- Say Eng Look, 1, 2, 3, Shanghai cuisine, near Chatham Sq., 5 East Broadway, 732-0796.
- Second Avenue Deli, 162 East 33rd St. (between Lexington and Third Ave.), 212-689-9000.
- Stamatis (Greek), 29-12 23rd Ave. (between 29th and 30th Sts.), Astoria, 718-721-4507. The grilled octopus is great.
- Taiwanese Gourmet, 8402 Broadway, Queens.
- Thailand Cafe, 95 2nd Ave. (between 5th and 6th Sts.), 212-477-1872.
- Thali (Vegeterian Indian), 28 Greenwich Ave. (between 10th and Charles), 212-367-7411.
- Tuk Tuk (Thai), 204 Smith St., Brooklyn, 718-222-5598, 5597.
- Los Pollitos II, 5th Ave, Park Slope, Brooklyn. A homey little place, very inexpensive, with delicious rotisserie chicken.
- Le Madeleine, 403 W. 43rd St., 212-246-2993.
- Turkuaz, 2637 Broadway (at 100th St.), 212-665-9541.
- Bayou, 308 Lenox Ave. (near 125th Street), 212-426-3800. Creole.
- Copeland's, 547 West 145th Street (near Broadway), 212-234-2357, Southern buffet.
- Miss Maude's Spoonbread Too, 547 Lenox Ave. (near 137th Street), 212-690-3100.
- Neptune Diner, 31-05 Astoria Blvd., Astoria, 718-278-4853.
- Republic, 37 Union Sq. West, near 16th St., 212-627-7172. Asian
- Carmine's, 2450 Broadway, 212-362-2200.
- Curry Mahal, 78 2nd Ave. (between 1st Ave and 4th St), 212-598-0746.
- La Pizza Fresca, 31 E. 20th St., 212-598-0141.
- Trattoria L'Incontro, 21-76 31st St. at Ditmars Blvd, Astoria, 718-721-3532.
- Babbo, 110 Waverly Pl. (NW corner of Washington Square Park), 212-777-0303.
- Po, 31 Cornelia St., between Bleeker and W. 4th Sts., 212-645-2189.
- Gramercy Tavern, 42 E. 20th St, 212-477-0777.
- Hearth, 403 E. 12th St., at 1st Ave., 646-602-1300.
- Virage Restaurant, 118 2nd Ave. (near 7th St.), 212-253-0425.
- Saravanaa Bhavan, 81 Lexington Ave., 212-679-0204, and 413 Amsterdam Ave. (between 79 St & 80), 212-721-7755.
- Kailash Parbat, 99 Lexington Ave., 212-679-4238.
- Moti Mahal Delux, 1149 1st Ave.,
- Anjappar, 116 Lexington Ave, 212-265-3663.
- Veselka, 144 2nd Ave., 212-228-9682.
- According to the NY Times, good places for breakfast include La Flor Bakery and Cafe, 53-02 Roosevelt Ave., Woodside, Queens; The Half King, 505 West 23rd Street (near 10th Ave.),; Otto, 1 5th Ave. (8th St.).
- Acording to the NY Times, good places for bagels are Absolute Bagels, 2788 Broadway (between 107th and 108th St.); Bagelry, 429 3rd Ave. (at 30th Street); Murray's Bagels, 242 8th Ave. (between 22nd and 23rd St.) and 500 6th Ave. (between 12th and 13th St.); Terrace Bagels, 224 Prospect Park West (at Windsor Place), Brooklyn; Bagel Oasis, 183-12 Horace Harding Expressway, Fresh Meadows, Queens; Hot Bialys, 116-63 Queens Boulevard (at 78th Ave.), Forest Hills.
- Good restaurants in Astoria: Ubol's Kitchen, Le Sans Souci, 718, J. J.'s Fusion Kitchen and Sushi Bar, Agnanti.
- Some suggested good Indian restaurants: Sai Bhavan, 141-20 Holly Ave., Flushing, NY, 718-359-2091; Chola, 232 East 58th St., 212 688-4619; Royal Tangra Masala 2207 Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park, 516-746-4898.
- Good restaurants in Queens.
- Blue Marble Ice Cream
More suggestions are at chowhound.com, Amateur Gourmet, Eater, Restaurant Girl, Midtown lunch.
Please send comments and corrections to Harvey Gould, email@example.com.
Updated 14 February 2017.